Nunez Community College Chancellor Dr. Tina Tinney, far left, recognized faculty and staff members who embody Nunez’s core values during the Convocation 2021 program on Aug. 9. (Pictured) with Dr. Tinney on the front row are GEM Award winners Dr. Alaa Khalil and Kathleen Huff. On the second row are GEM Award winners Treasure Burtchaell, Andreas Pashos and Brian Gibson. (Not pictured) Outstanding Professional Staff Member Award winner Jason Hosch and Outstanding Professional Support Staff Member Award winner Lisa Brown. Photo Courtesy of Nunez Community College.
Contributed by Nunez Community College
Nunez Community College honored standout faculty and staff members from departments across the college at its annual Convocation program Aug. 9 in Chalmette.
Convocation signals the beginning of the academic year at Nunez, when full-time faculty and staff convene on campus to discuss plans and priorities. The theme for Convocation 2021 was Living Our Values.
“Our Convocation is a special time of coming together. Following a challenging year of being distanced from our colleagues and students, we were excited to begin Fall 2021 with our annual convening of employees and community partners,” said Nunez Chancellor Dr. Tina Tinney. “Nunez is fortunate to have the support of its community and commitment of our faculty and staff to offer valuable post-secondary training and educational access across our region.”
Nunez was pleased to welcome several special guests to its Chalmette campus for Convocation 2021. Ronnie Slone, president and founder of The Slone Group, delivered the keynote address. Gay Parvazi of presenting sponsor UNO Federal Credit Union offered financial tips to faculty and staff.
A high point during each Convocation is the recognition of employees with various awards presented by Dr. Tinney. The Outstanding Professional Staff Member Award winner, Outstanding Professional Support Staff Member Award winner and the GEM (Great Employee Moments) Awards winners are all selected via peer nominations and voting. Both the Outstanding Professional Staff Member and the Outstanding Professional Support Staff Member will be recognized along with Nunez’s Excellence In Teaching Award winner, which is announced in May, at the Louisiana Community and Technical College System’s Annual Conference this November in New Orleans.
And the winners are the following:
- Outstanding Professional Staff Member Award – Jason Hosch, Director of IT
- Outstanding Professional Support Staff Member Award – Lisa Brown, Custodian
- GEM Award for the Student-Centered Value – Kathleen Huff, Care and Development of Young Children and Teaching: Grades 1-5 Program Manager
- GEM Award for the Teaching and Learning Value – Dr. Alaa Khalil, Assistant Professor in Biological Sciences
- GEM Award for the Caring Value – Brian Gibson, Director of Workforce Development
- GEM Award for the Integrity Value – Treasure Burtchaell, Director of Financial Aid
- GEM Award for the Innovation Value – Andreas Pashos, Aerospace Manufacturing Technology Program Manager
Electrical Program Manager Steve Baiamonte was selected by his peers in May as winner of the Excellence In Teaching Award and Lamarque Endowed Professorship.
Dr. Tinney also presented service pins to faculty and staff members celebrating their time at Nunez.
- 20 Year Service Awards — Kim Doty, Financial Aid Counselor
- 15 Year Service Awards — Keith Tolleson, PTEC Instructor, Earl Wilson, EMS/Paramedic Program Manager
- 10 Year Service Awards — Kathleen LeBlanc, Student Success Center Coordinator
- 5 Year Service Awards — Daelyn Osborn-Hartley, EMS Instructor, Nadia James, Financial Aid Counselor, Terence Phillips, Accounting Specialist
Employees who joined Nunez in the past year were welcomed during Convocation. They include Head Librarian Katelyn Baroody, EMS Instructor Valerie Bergeron, Chief Operating Officer Timothy Burke, Executive Assistant to the Chancellor Sonia Collins, Nursing Instructor Brandy Freire, Director of Workforce Development Brian Gibson, CTE Coordinator Stephanie Gibson, Vice Chancellor for Education, Training and Student Success Dr. Cherie Kay LaRocca, Director of Accounting and Budget Dana Littlepage, Coastal Program Manager Dr. Mahtab Lodhi, Instrumentation Program Manager Alex Mulvaney, Director of Steam Julie Rexford, Instrumentation Instructor Wallace Rodrigue and Nursing Instructor Danielle Rodriguez.
Nunez Community College is a student-centered institution that delivers relevant and innovative curriculum integrating the arts, sciences, and humanities leading to academic credentials and workforce opportunities. Nunez serves a vital role in the community by engaging with partners to support student success and personal growth. Nunez Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees, certificates, and diplomas. Nunez is located at 3710 Paris Road, Chalmette.